If you are a Virginia resident with an annual household income of less than $58,000, or you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), our tax clinic can make sure your taxes are done correctly, have applied all tax credits for which you are eligible, and submit them electronically.
File Your Taxes Online for Free
- Virtual filing is fast, easy, and free:
Taxes are filed within 5-7 business days at no cost to eligible tax payers.
- No appointment or application needed:
Just upload your information to our secure online portal during tax season and we’ll begin the filing process.
- Get your refund asap:
Filing too early could cause a delay in your refund. Our staff will ensure this doesn’t happen to you.
Tax Clinic Protocol Updates
To ensure the health of our clients and volunteers, we are adding in a few safety precautions:
- All tax returns will be filed virtually or using our drop-off service. Filing virtually is the easiest and safest way for us to file your taxes. Virtual filing will begin in February 2022.
- Alternatively, our drop-off service allows you to drop off all necessary documents and return for a short appointment one week later. If you’ve come to the Tax Clinic before, you know this is slightly longer than the typical same-day filing appointments of the past. We ask for your patience as we strive to assist every client quickly, accurately, and safely.
- Lastly, the primary form of communication this upcoming tax season will be email to allow us to communicate with you quickly and assist as many taxpayers as possible.
You will need the following information to file
- Picture ID (taxpayer and spouse)
- For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign all documentation.
- Social Security CARDS for the taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents that will be listed on the tax return—we cannot prepare tax returns without social security cards.
- Bank routing number and bank account number—for direct deposit—preferably from a check or bank statement to be certain that your numbers are correct.
- All W-2s for the year 2021 are required at the time of your appointment. (note: 1099-MISC an 1099-NEC forms are not the same as a W-2 Form—refer to the corners of your forms)
- Unemployment Compensation statement (Form 1099-G)
- Social Security/ Disability statements (Form SSA 1099)
- Bank interest forms (Form 1099-INT)
- Total paid to child care provider(s) and provider’s Tax ID Number
- All Form 1095 Health Insurance Statements
- Letter 6419 from IRS (total amount of Advance Child Tax Credit received)
- Letter 6475 from IRS (regarding Economic Impact Payment #3 [stimulus]—if available or know the total amounts that you received)
- COPY OF 2019 TAX RETURN. This may be used to calculate EITC if 2019 income was greater than 2021.
- Your total income must be less than $58,000to qualify for TAP Tax Clinic services. If your income is more than $57,999 TAP cannot file your tax return.
- We are prioritzing those with an income at 100% Federal Poverty Level (FPL) or below. We also prioritize clients who receive Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) payments.
- TAP does not prepare tax returns with the following:
- Self-Employment/ Business income
- 1099-MISC or the new 1099-NEC
- Some 1099-R forms are beyond our scope of certification
- Itemizing requests (home mortgage interest, contributions, etc.)
- Stocks and Bonds; Cash-out; 1099-DIV
- Other forms that are beyond TAP’s areas of focus and certification level (please call for clarification if you have forms that you are not familiar with)
- Helping to maintain a healthy and safe flow of tax customers;
- completing health screening forms with visitors;
- ensuring taxpayer forms are complete and ready for intake; and
- answering intake and eligibility questions by text, phone, and email.
How to Find Out More
For general questions, please feel free to send us an email using the contact form below or call 540.283.4916.