If you are a Virginia resident with an annual household income of less than $57,000, or you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), our tax clinic can make sure your taxes are done correctly, have applied all tax credits for which you are eligible, and submit them electronically.
Update for the 2020 Tax Season
March 2021 — TAP Tax Clinic is one of our most popular annual programs. This year has been no exception. Due to the high volume of clients the clinic has limited availablity. We are aware that the federal tax filing deadline has been extended into May, and we are currently evaluating our capacity to continue the Tax Clinic beyond the traditional April 15 deadline.
Tax Clinic Protocol Updates
To ensure the health of our clients and volunteers, we are adding in a few safety precautions:
All tax returns will be filed using our drop-off service, which allows you to drop off all necessary documents and return for a short appointment one week later. If you’ve come to the Tax Clinic before, you know this is slightly longer than the typical same-day filing appointments of the past. We ask for your patience as we strive to assist every client quickly, accurately, and safely.
When arriving for a filing appointment, you will remain in your car until we call you into the Dumas Center. Upon entering, a volunteer will administer a brief health screening. You will be required to wear a mask during your visit.
Lastly, the primary form of communication this upcoming tax season will be email to allow us to communicate with you quickly and assist as many taxpayers as possible. You may email firstname.lastname@example.org now to be added to the wait list. Appointments will begin on February 5, 2021. If you do not have email, the appointment line is open at 540-283-4804.
- We will offer online appointment scheduling where they can drop off and pick up paperwork.
- We will also offer virtual services. Get more information about this at getyourrefund.org/en.
Please bring the following to your appointment
- Picture ID (taxpayer and spouse)
- For married filing jointly, both spouses must be present to sign all documentation.
- Social Security CARDS for the taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents that will be listed on the tax return—we cannot prepare tax returns without social security cards.
- Bank routing number and bank account number—for direct deposit—preferably from a check or bank statement to be certain that your numbers are correct.
- All W-2s for the year 2020 are required at the time of your appointment. (note: 1099-MISC an 1099-NEC forms are not the same as a W-2 Form—refer to the corners of your forms)
- Unemployment Compensation statement (Form 1099-G)
- Social Security/ Disability statements—Form SSA 1099
- Bank interest forms (Form 1099-INT)
- Total paid to child care provider(s) and provider’s Tax ID Number
- From 1444 & Form 1444-B regarding Economic Impact Payment (stimulus)
- All Forms 1095 Health Insurance Statements
- Your total income must be less than $57,000 if more than $56,999 to qualify for TAP Tax Clinic services.
- TAP does not prepare tax returns with the following:
- Self-Employment/ Business income
- 1099-MISC or the new 1099-NEC
- Some 1099-R forms are beyond our scope of certification
- Itemizing requests (home mortgage interest, contributions, etc.)
- Stocks and Bonds; Cash-out; 1099-DIV
- Other forms that are beyond TAP’s areas of focus and certification level (please call for clarification if you have forms that you are not familiar with)
- Helping to maintain a healthy and safe flow of tax customers;
- completing health screening forms with visitors;
- ensuring taxpayer forms are complete and ready for intake; and
- answering intake and eligibility questions by text, phone, and email.
How to Find Out More
For general questions, please feel free to send us an email using the contact form below.