Bringing Hope Home is an annual campaign for TAP.
Since 1965, when TAP opened its doors, we’ve been an independent, local nonprofit dedicated to making one product for our community: opportunity. Opportunity for our neighbors—and yours—to live with dignity, to confidently direct the course of their lives, and to achieve their vision of success.
And, perhaps most importantly, the opportunity to have hope.
The Power of HOPE
As James Baldwin once said, hope is a thing that “is invented every day.” At TAP, we believe that.
That’s why we roll up our sleeves every day and meet people where they are. We work to create lasting solutions to the challenges they face. That’s the work of hope, and it needs the strong foundation of an engaged community. It needs you.
Poverty is more than simply a lack of money. Poverty takes away people’s ability to make choices. It makes new obstacles every day and creates hopelessness.
It’s easy to underestimate how hopelessness spreads. If left unchecked it can undermine even the strongest foundations. But we know from our 57 years of doing this work that hope makes a difference.
But we can’t do it alone. We need your help.
Bringing Hope Home will impact four key areas of TAP’s work:
Education & Employment
Education and employment are two of TAP’s most important strategies for empowering people to reach their full potential.
- With the support of donors, last year TAP helped 853 people obtain jobs.
- With your financial support, we help more than 1,000 children each year prepare to thrive in the school system through our Head Start programs.
- We also work with youth in middle and high school to help prepare them for college.
- For those non-college-bound students, we help them complete GEDs and gain solid employment skills to enter the local workforce.
- Your support also allows us to work with adults, increasing their education and employment skills to gain higher-wage jobs or to reestablish careers after incarceration.
Domestic Violence & Family Services
TAP strives every day to help families escape from crisis, and works with them as they heal and make plans to live full, independent, and violence-free lives.
- Thanks to donor support, last year TAP saved 223 households from domestic violence.
- With your support we provide counseling, emergency re-housing, safety planning and more to make sure families are living in safe environments.
- Our outreach and prevention efforts educate the community around issues of domestic violence.
TAP helps families achieve the security and stability that come with having a decent place to live.
- Last year TAP saved 253 households from homelessness, thanks to the support of donors.
- With your support we offer housing assistance for homeless veterans.
- We also offer limited home repair and energy efficiency services for low-income families.
- With your help, we offer education and assistance for first-time homebuyers.
- Your support also allows us to contribute to neighborhood revitalization through housing rehabilitation.
TAP views financial health as a crucial step to becoming economically independent.
- Last year, with the support of donors, TAP nurtured the entrepreneurial spirit of 31 small business owners.
- We support local entrepreneurs by offering different types of low-interest loans in order to match clients’ distinct needs.
- With your help, we provide one-on-one personal financial coaching to teach people the many aspects of financial security.
- Lastly, with the support of donors like you, our annual Tax Clinic provides free tax preparation for low- and moderate-income taxpayers, helping them access valuable credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Together, we can build a stronger future for our communities. For every single dollar you give, TAP can leverage $43 toward life-changing programming for the people of southwest Virginia.
Your donations to Bringing Hope Home are a direct investment in the people TAP serves, and they form the foundation that allows our programs to do the thing they do best: create opportunities.
What is TAP’s service area?
- City of Roanoke
- Roanoke County
- City of Salem
- Botetourt County
- Craig County
- Bath County
- Alleghany County
- City of Covington
- City of Lexington
- City of Buena Vista
- Rockbridge County
*Some TAP programs extend beyond this service area.
Where can I find financial information about TAP?
TAP’s recent audits, IRS form 990s, and annual reports are all located on our website under publications.
Does TAP receive government funds?
TAP does a masterful job of recapturing federal and state funds for our local area in the form of grants. While grants have a powerful impact on our community, there are many important parts of TAP’s operations that grants do not fund. Examples of expenses that are not covered by grants:
- Food and clothing for homeless youth
- Staffing, security presence, and monitors for expanded Sabrina’s Place services
- Mold and asbestos remediation in homes
- Trauma-informed counseling for at-risk youth
- Transportation to jobs off the bus line
How can a business support TAP?
A business can become a sponsor of TAP’s Bringing Hope Home campaign. We offer a variety of appealing sponsorship packages for your consideration. Please contact Robin Reynolds at 540-283-4866 to discuss in more detail.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Donations to TAP are fully tax-deductible to the extent provided by the law. If the donor receives benefits, then their tax deduction would be reduced by the fair market value of the benefits received. For tax questions related to your donation, please consult a tax adviser.
- Carter Bank & Trust
- Delta Dental of Virginia
- Marsh & McLennan Agency
- Network Computing Group
- Pinnacle Financial Partners
- Roanoke Gas Company
- Spilman Thomas & Battle, PLLC