On-Call Driver Loader (Temporary)
- Department: This Valley Works
- Posting Date: 4/26/19
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: $11/hr.
- Code: OCTDL-TVW
- TAP Books is seeking a reliable individual to work temporary & part-time driving a box truck or cargo van to pick up donations and deliver them to our warehouse. Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required.
DEFINITION AND PURPOSE:
The primary function of this employee will be to drive a truck or van to load and unload donations consisting of boxes of books and other items. Drive regular routes to check for and load donations. Provide excellent customer service to partner hosted donation sites. Performance will be supervised and you will be given detailed instructions on all assignments.
Supervised by: TAP Books Manager
Supervises: No One
Coordinates with: TAP Books staff
* Drive truck or van to make pickups of donations.
* Assist in loading and unloading trucks.
* May assist in packing items for loading.
* Sort and place items in proper storage areas.
* Double check all loads to make sure they are thoroughly secure for delivery.
* Perform duties safely.
* Assist with other TAP Books activities as directed.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Experience driving a commercial vehicle for pickups and deliveries preferred.
* Great customer service and communication skills.
* Positive attitude and team player.
* Dependable and regular in attendance when needed.
* Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Forklift experience is preferred.
* Must be available to work any hours and any days of the week; most assignments are on-call, as needed.
* Must have high school diploma or equivalent
- Must have a valid Virginia Driver’s License.
- Must have a clean driving record and be insurable by TAP’s insurance as a driver.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Must pass drug screening. This position also requires favorable complete background screening including: health, criminal, sex offender and child protective services.
- Physical activity of this position – climbing; ascending/descending stairs/ramps, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, hearing and talking.
- Physical requirements of this position – very heavy work; exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Conditions subject to in this position – environmental conditions; protection from weather conditions but not necessary from temperature changes; outside conditions; no effective protection from the weather; subject to both environmental conditions; activities occur inside and outside; worker subject to hazards, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts or moving vehicles.
This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and general nature and level of work associated with the job. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties that may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such an individual may be given.
Every TAP employee shares in TAP’s responsibility to “Mobilize Community Resources” in support of TAP’s anti-poverty efforts.
TAP hires only U.S. Citizens and lawfully authorized aliens.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
Bilinguals Encouraged to Apply