- Department: PMM
- Posting Date: 7
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: $9.25 - $10.00/hr.
- Code: OCC-PMM
DEFINITION AND PURPOSE:
The Janitor is responsible for maintaining a sanitary and attractive environment. Work will be performed according to the Janitorial Specifications and the safety and environmental guidelines established by TAP’s and found in TAP & Head Start procedures.
Supervised by: Director of PMM and Superintendent of PMM
Supervises: No one
Coordinates with: Director of PMM, Superintendent of PMM and Custodial Team Leader
- Follows written Janitorial Specifications such as:
- Cleans and disinfects restroom fixtures, restroom walls, partitions, mirrors, glass and water fountains.
- Replenishes paper supplies and other consumables.
- Empties/cleans trash cans and disposes all trash and changes can liners daily.
- Mops (dust and wet) composite, vinyl and tile floors.
- Vacuums and shampoos carpet as needed.
- Strips, waxes and buffs floors, as needed.
- Moves furnishings to clean behind or beneath, as needed.
- Dusts window sills, window blinds, and other surfaces.
- Cleans classrooms, offices, common areas, etc. as assigned.
- Removes cobwebs, as needed.
- Moves trash cans to curb for pickup, as required.
- Completes light maintenance tasks such as light bulb changes, tightening restroom seats, lose door knobs, and other light maintenance tasks as needed.
- Keeps work and storage spaces clean.
- Keeps janitor closets clean, organized and in good working order.
- Cleans, stores and dust/wet mops after each use.
- Stores and secures toilet cleaning supplies from other cleaning supplies and all are kept out of reach to children.
- Keeps supervisor abreast of facility related issues.
- Reports needed repairs.
- Requests paper supplies, soap, trash bags and cleaning supplies, as needed.
- Reports potential health and safety issues to supervisor.
- Maintains a safe work environment.
- Maintains supply of personal protective equipment.
- Knows locations of first aid supplies, MSDS information and fire extinguishers.
- Keeps cleaning supplies secure, especially from children.
- Performs debris, snow and ice removal, as needed.
- Secures building at end of the day.
- Abides by all safety, environmental and TAP policies and procedures.
- Disposes of waste materials in accordance with TAP’s environmental procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Demonstrates general knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment.
- Ability to work with persons of various cultures and abilities.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the workplace.
- Demonstrates ability to prepare estimates and order janitorial supplies.
- Demonstrates ability to exercise independent judgment in determining operating conditions.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma, GED or equivalent is required.
- Must have a valid Virginia Operator’s license with a good driving record and reliable transportation.
- Must pass drug screening. Some positions require positive complete background screening including: criminal, sex offender and child protective services, and a complete health screening.
- Must be able to work in unsanitary conditions.
- Physical activity of this position – climbing; ascending and descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like; balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing or sitting for long periods of time, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, use of fingers for – picking, pinching and typing; grasping, feeling, talking, hearing repetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Physical requirements of this position – medium work; exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently.
- Visual acuity requirements – must be able to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- Conditions subject to in this position – both environmental conditions; activities occur inside and outside.
If position requires tools, TAP will purchase the needed tools. The employee using the tools will be responsible for the care/maintenance of the tools. If any tool(s) are damaged or malfunctions, the employee will return the tool(s) to the TAP office for replacement. If the tool(s) are lost, TAP will replace the first tool(s) lost, however the employee using the tool(s) will be responsible for replacing any tool(s) lost after the first one(s) are replaced.
This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and general nature and level of work associated with the job. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties whose performance may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such an individual may be given.
Every TAP employee shares in TAP’s responsibility to “Mobilize Community Resources” in support of TAP’s anti-poverty efforts.
TAP hires only U.S. Citizens and lawfully authorized aliens.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
Bilinguals encouraged to Apply.