Buena Vista, VA
- Department: Head Start/Early Head Start
- Posting Date: 10/28/21
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: $11.00/hr-$15.90/hr
- Code: SLC-EHS/HS
- This position is for someone to work as needed only to fill in when the lead cook is unable to work.
DEFINITION AND PURPOSE:
The primary function is to oversee the cooks and food production assistants in the facility. Perform various food service tasks, including directing employees in the production of the menu and packaging and storing of food. Will also supervise the food safety and facility sanitation protocol. Work is reviewed through operation and inspection.
Supervised by: Food Service Manager
Supervises: Production Staff
- Oversees the cooks and other food production staff.
- Directs in the production of the menu items.
- Checks allergy menus daily and prepares substitutions.
- Responsible for quantity and quality of food delivered to centers.
- Directs in the packaging and storing of food.
- Participates in the receiving of food from vendors.
- Effective communication with production and center staff.
- Makes recommendations regarding food service to Food Service Manager.
- Assumes management tasks when Food Service Manager is not available.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be able to perform/oversee volume “batch” cooking/baking as well as “from scratch” preparations from time to time.
- Must have the ability to learn repetitive tasks quickly.
- Must have the ability to instruct and delegate tasks.
- Conflict resolution skills desirable.
- Required to wear masks with a few exceptions.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma of GED.
- Must have a minimum of two years experience as a cook in a high volume food service operation.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- TAP is a mandatory COVID vaccine employer.
- Must pass drug screening. Some positions require positive complete background screening including: criminal, sex offender and child protective services.
- Physical activity of this position – climbing; ascending and descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like; balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, use of fingers for – picking, pinching and typing; grasping, feeling, hearing, talking repetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Physical requirements of this position – heavy work; exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual acuity requirements – visual acuity to operate motor vehicle and/or heavy equipment.
- Conditions subject to in this position – both environmental conditions; activities occur inside and outside; subject to noise and hazards and atmospheric conditions – one or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory systems of this skin: fumes, odors, mists, gases or poor ventilation.
This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and general nature and level of work associated with the job. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties that may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such an individual may be given.
Every TAP employee shares in TAP’s responsibility to “Mobilize Community Resources” in support of TAP’s anti-poverty efforts.
TAP hires only U.S. Citizens and lawfully authorized aliens.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
Bilinguals Encouraged to Apply