Information Processing Specialist
- Department: Head Start/Early Head Start
- Posting Date: 2/15/19
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: $10.47 - $14.55/hr.
- Code: IPS-HSEHS
DEFINITION AND PURPOSE:
This person is responsible for entering, managing and updating data on children and families into TAP Head Start’s database system, Child Plus and working with parents in Head Start to increase their computer skills.
Supervised by: Information Processing Coordinator
Supervises: No One
Coordinates with: Family Service Specialists, All Service Area Coordinators, Supervisors, Home-based staff, TAP Management Information Systems Staff
- Enters and manages data on children and families for reporting and planning purposes.
- Collects intake forms, status update forms and other written materials from Family Service Specialists and other staff that contains information about children and families who receive services through Head Start.
- Enters data directly from forms and written materials into the ChildPlus database system.
- Reviews data to ensure accuracy and reliability, making changes to data as appropriate.
- Updates data on children and families for reporting and planning purposes.
- Collects status update forms and other updated written material containing information and children and families and enters updated information into ChildPlus.
- Regularly contacts Family Service Specialists to obtain updated information on children and families to input into ChildPlus.
- Ensures that all data on children and families in ChildPlus is up-to-date and accurately reflects figures on currently enrolled children.
- Communicates regularly with Information Processing Coordinator to report and fix data problems.
- Works with parents in Head Start to increase their computer skills.
- Participates in parent meetings to learn what parents want and need to bridge the “digital divide”
- Offers one-on-one tutoring and small group instruction to parents on computer basics, such as using the internet.
- Participates in regular meetings with the Head Start Information Systems Team
- Attends Supervisors, Family Development and Education meetings to discuss computer related issues as requested.
- Adheres to the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct as adopted by the TAP Head Start program.
- Assists the Information Processing Coordinator with additional job-related tasks upon request.
- Performs additional job-related tasks upon request.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient oral and written skills.
- Familiarity with Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office software products
- Basic knowledge of purpose and function of database systems.
- Demonstrated organizational and record-keeping skills.
- Must be proficient in both alpha and numeric data entry, attention to detail, accuracy and speed.
- PC literate with ability to learn new systems and changes to existing systems quickly.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently without a great deal of direction and supervision.
- Detail oriented and reliable.
- “Team” player, must be able to adapt to changing workflow and deadlines.
- Ability to prioritize work to meet deadlines and department performance.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED. Minimum of one year experience working with computers in an office environment, including entering data.
- Accurate data entry skills – minimum 5000 keystrokes per hour with 95% accuracy.
- Knowledge of data collection and control procedures; data entry operations and procedures.
- Ability to understand basic database systems functionality, report writing skills a plus.
- Must possess a valid VA operator’s license and daily access to an automobile.
- Must pass drug screening. Some positions require positive complete background screening including: criminal, sex offender and child protective services.
- Physical activity of this position – balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, use of fingers for – picking, pinching, and typing; grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, repetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Physical requirements of this position – medium work; exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual acuity requirements – must be able to determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- Conditions worker subject to in this position – environmental conditions; protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and general nature and level of work associated with the job. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties that may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such an individual may be given.
Every TAP employee shares in TAP’s responsibility to “Mobilize Community Resources” in support of TAP’s anti-poverty efforts.
TAP hires only U.S. Citizens and lawfully authorized aliens.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace
Bilinguals Encouraged to Apply