Communications Internship Position
- Department: Planning
- Posting Date: 7/1/18
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: Unpaid internship
We are looking for a college or university student studying Communications (or related field) to fill our Communications Internship position.
The communications intern is responsible for assisting the creative services manager in tasks related to the comprehensive marketing, publications, and online communications plans of Total Action for Progress (TAP). Interns must be able to work for a minimum of ten hours per week for at least three months.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and digital portfolio or writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. The Communications Intern helps to develop, produce, and coordinate the distribution of information about TAP and its programs to current and potential clients, funders, and advocates, as well as the community-at-large.
2. Contributes to TAP-wide publications and communication plan, including web pages and newsletters.
3. Participates in website and social media communications.
4. Composes press releases and other media communications.
5. Other duties as assigned by the communication specialist, director of planning, or vice president of planning and resource development.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE COMMUNICATIONS INTERN POSITION:
1. Passionate commitment to TAP’s mission.
2. Education or at least one year of experience in communication and/or social media management preferred.
3. Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
4. Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
5. Ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and independently.
6. Ability to gather, retrieve, and interpret information in a timely manner.
7. Ability to be flexible and work well in a team environment.
See what past interns have to say about the Communications Intern Position
“I interned with TAP in spring 2015 as a student at Radford University. I am currently a public relations account manager at Sage Communications, where I oversee and guide the strategic execution of media relations, social media, and integrated marketing campaigns for a wide range of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, local nonprofits, and more.
My internship with TAP was a major turning point for me as a public relations student. It was during my internship that I found my passion for nonprofit communication and realized the true power of media relations as a tool to generate brand awareness and drive participation on a shoestring budget. Thanks to the tremendous opportunities I had at TAP, I had the luxury of fielding numerous job offers with major PR agencies upon graduation. The work you are able to do as a marketing/communication intern at TAP is not just meaningful, but it is transferable and can be applied to any communication role in any industry. An added bonus, your direct supervisor is one of the coolest people on the planet so coming to work is always a pleasure!”
“Working at TAP was an incredible experience. Not only did it offer me a fun environment to learn and hone my communications skills, but it gave me a starting place in my career! My time at TAP showed me how rewarding working for a non-profit can be, and now I have the opportunity to work at a non-profit an ocean away. The work TAP does for my community back home is amazing, and I cannot wait to take everything I learned and put it into action for another deserving organization.”
Our interns go on to do big things! We couldn’t be happier for Megan, our former communications intern, as she begins her new career at Five Talents UK in London. Their mission is to fight poverty, create jobs, and transform lives by empowering the poor in developing countries. We wish her the best of luck!
Meet Katie! From the beginning of her time at TAP she showed a tremendous level of dedication and heart for our cause. Katie worked hard during her summer with us keeping our social media followers up to date on all things TAP, and you may have even seen her at a few of our events.
We want to thank Katie for all of her contributions, and we wish her the best of luck in her upcoming junior year at Emory & Henry College!