Classroom Substitute — Roanoke
- Department: Head Start/Early Head Start
- Posting Date: 2/9/18
- Closing Date: Open until filled
- Salary: $12.00- $14.45/hr.
- Code: CS-Rke-HSEHS
DEFINITION AND PURPOSE:
Assists the classroom staff in planning and carrying out the educational program of Head Start. Performs tasks as assigned by the teacher, in the absence of regular staff members, to provide high-quality care for the children in their center.
Supervised by: Lead Teacher, Teacher, Center Supervisor, Teacher I or II
Supervises: No One
Coordinates with: Center and Administrative Staff
- Assists with implementation of the educational program for children.
- Assists with arrival or departure of children (greeting and communicating with parents, etc).
- Assists the staff with preparation and implementation of family-style breakfast, lunch and afternoon snacks, interacting with the children and modeling appropriate mealtime skills.
- Assists in implementing classroom activities as defined in the lesson plan.
- Demonstrates developmentally appropriate practices throughout the center in all interactions with children.
- Observes and supervises children individually and as a group, and responds to the needs of the group and individual children in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Assists classroom staff in creating an atmosphere in the center that is welcoming to parents and families by greeting parents in a friendly manner as they bring and pick up their children.
- Assists with maintaining classroom environment in accordance with TAP Head Start policies and procedures and Virginia Minimum Standards for Licensed Child Care Programs.
- Assists in setting up and cleaning the classrooms.
- Keeps equipment and materials safe, clean, and in good condition at all times, both indoors and outdoors.
- Assists in maintaining a classroom environment conducive to exploration and experimental learning with interest areas labeled, defined and accessible to children.
- Follows the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct regarding appropriate interactions with staff and parents, including taking concerns to appropriate sources, refraining from gossiping or inappropriate interactions with colleagues and parents, and exhibiting professional behavior at all times.
- Will refer to the classroom Substitute Directory as needed.
- Follows centers rules and those implemented at hire for the entire agency.
- Presents self professionally to colleagues, parents and community through appropriate dress, language and behavior.
- Creates a positive work environment by demonstrating flexibility and willingness to perform other job-related duties as assigned, and by participating appropriately in program planning and decisions, and in implementation of those plans.
- Adheres to all policies/procedures as outlined in the TAP Head Start Policies and Procedure Manual.
- Adheres to NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct as adopted by TAP Head Start.
- Performs other duties as assigned and required.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Basic knowledge of developmental characteristics and needs of infant, toddler, and/or preschool children.
- Some knowledge of appropriate activities and interactions with infant, toddler, and/or preschool children.
- Ability to learn, understand and follow policies and procedures outlined in the TAP Head Start Policies and Procedures Manual and other written and oral directions from program staff and supervisors
- Ability to read, write and communicate with staff, parents, and children in an appropriate and professional manner.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- At least one year of experience working with infants, toddlers, and/or pre-school children.
At TAP, we focus on the Whole Family Approach. Whole Family is a family led strategy to achieve set goals. As an employee you may be required to attend Whole Family training and subject to data entry into the agency’s software as part of the Whole Family approach and serving clients.
- Must have a valid Virginia Operator’s license and reliable transportation.
TAP participates in the Virginia DMV Driver Alert Program. Employees who operate a TAP vehicle or their personal vehicle to conduct TAP business may be subject to driver record monitoring through the Virginia DMV Driver Alert Program.
- Must pass drug screening. Some positions require positive complete background screening including: criminal, sex offender and child protective services.
- Must be able to interact with children.
- Attends a minimum of 21 training hours as required and provided by TAP Head Start.
- Must be available to work a minimal of 25 hours, on an as-needed basis.
- Must be available to work any eight (8) hours shift during center operational hours of 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., including split shifts as needed.
- Must have CPR, First Aid Certification, and MAT certification or be able to complete such certification within 6 months of employment.
- Physical activity of this position – climbing; ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like; balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, use of fingers for – picking, pinching, and typing; grasping, feeling, hearing, talking, repetitive motion of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Physical requirements of this position – medium work; exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Visual acuity requirements – must be able to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned or to make general observations of facilities or structures.
- Conditions subject to in this position – worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
This description provides information regarding the essential functions of the designated job, and general nature and level of work associated with the job. It should not be interpreted to describe all the duties that may be required of such employees or be used to limit the nature and extent of assignments such an individual may be given.
Every TAP employee shares in TAP’s responsibility to “Mobilize Community Resources” in support of TAP’s anti-poverty efforts.
We only hire individuals legally eligible for employment in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer/ Drug-Free Workplace
Bilinguals Encouraged to Apply