We are so pleased to report that in the 2020-21 fiscal year, 224 donors gave donations to TAP totaling $261,787. This was far in excess of our original campaign goal of $150,000! This funding allowed TAP to continue operating our life changing programs right through the pandemic, helping more families than ever before.
The Bringing Hope Home campaign continues, and we hope you’ll read on about how you can make a difference by supporting the campaign. In the meantime, thank you for your great support in 2020-21!
Bringing Hope Home is an annual campaign for TAP.
“If there’s a common denominator for the poor, it is that feeling of hopelessness… the feeling that I can’t get it… even if I try.”
-Bristow Hardin, TAP’s first executive director
For 56 years TAP has been helping people in southwest Virginia to live full and prosperous lives. We’ve proven we’re an organization that can create lasting change.
Since our founding, we have refused to accept poverty amid prosperity. TAP is constantly innovating to find the most effective solutions to the many-faceted problem of poverty, because we recognize that prosperity by itself will not get rid of poverty.
TAP’s product is opportunity, and opportunity brings hope.
As we look to the future, TAP must continue to be a leader in this community, offering innovative action that is the antidote to the health, economic, and justice crises that have convulsed our nation. We must and will put forth solutions that acknowledge our common humanity, and that create pathways for low-income families to live stable, full lives.
But we can’t do it alone. We need your help.
Bringing Hope Home will impact four key areas of TAP’s work:
Education & Employment
Education and employment are two of TAP’s most important strategies for empowering people to reach their full potential.
- With the support of donors, last year TAP helped 653 people obtain jobs.
- With your financial support, we help more than 1,000 children each year prepare to thrive in the school system through our Head Start programs.
- We also work with youth in middle and high school to help prepare them for college.
- For those non-college-bound students, we help them complete GEDs and gain solid employment skills to enter the local workforce.
- Your support also allows us to work with adults, increasing their education and employment skills to gain higher-wage jobs or to reestablish careers after incarceration.
Domestic Violence & Family Services
TAP strives every day to help families escape from crisis, and works with them as they heal and make plans to live full, independent, and violence-free lives.
- Thanks to donor support, last year TAP saved 281 households from domestic violence.
- With your support we provide counseling, emergency re-housing, safety planning and more to make sure families are living in safe environments.
- Our outreach and prevention efforts educate the community around issues of domestic violence.
TAP helps families achieve the security and stability that come with having a decent place to live.
- Last year TAP saved 741 households from homelessness, thanks to the support of donors.
- With your support we offer housing assistance for homeless veterans.
- We also offer limited home repair and energy efficiency services for low-income families.
- With your help, we offer education and assistance for first-time homebuyers.
- Your support also allows us to contribute to neighborhood revitalization through housing rehabilitation.
TAP views financial health as a crucial step to becoming economically independent.
- Last year, with the support of donors, TAP nurtured the entrepreneurial spirit of 47 small business owners.
- We support local entrepreneurs by offering different types of low-interest loans in order to match clients’ distinct needs.
- With your help, we provide one-on-one personal financial coaching to teach people the many aspects of financial security.
- Lastly, with the support of donors like you, our annual Tax Clinic provides free tax preparation for low- and moderate-income taxpayers, helping them access valuable credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit.
Our goal is to raise $200,000 this year. Will you help?
Donations from individuals, businesses, and localities not only represent a direct investment in the people TAP serves, but those donated dollars also help to leverage other funding. For every dollar contributed locally, TAP is able to leverage $48 toward life-changing programming for the people of southwest Virginia.
Special Thank You to Bob Fetzer, president of Building Specialists, and the following companies:
Bud Weaver Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.
Creative Masonry, Inc.
Gary Russell Construction, LLC
Glavas Decorative Concrete
John T. Morgan Roofing & Sheet Metal Company, Inc.
Keenan Electric Company, Inc.
Layman’s Contracting, Inc.
Premier Painting of Virginia
Nichols Welding Inc.
Responsive Tech Solutions
What is TAP’s service area?
- City of Roanoke
- Roanoke County
- City of Salem
- Botetourt County
- Craig County
- Bath County
- Alleghany County
- City of Covington
- City of Lexington
- City of Buena Vista
- Rockbridge County
*Some TAP programs extend beyond this service area.
Where can I find financial information about TAP?
TAP’s recent audits, IRS form 990s, and annual reports are all located on our website under publications.
Does TAP receive government funds?
TAP does a masterful job of recapturing federal and state funds for our local area in the form of grants. While grants have a powerful impact on our community, there are many important parts of TAP’s operations that grants do not fund. Examples of expenses that are not covered by grants:
- Food and clothing for homeless youth
- Staffing, security presence, and monitors for expanded Sabrina’s Place services
- Mold and asbestos remediation in homes
- Trauma-informed counseling for at-risk youth
- Transportation to jobs off the bus line
How can a business support TAP?
A business can become a sponsor of TAP’s Bringing Hope Home campaign. We offer a variety of appealing sponsorship packages for your consideration. Please contact Robin Reynolds at 540-283-4866 to discuss in more detail.
Is my donation tax-deductible?
Donations to TAP are fully tax-deductible to the extent provided by the law. If the donor receives benefits, then their tax deduction would be reduced by the fair market value of the benefits received. For tax questions related to your donation, please consult a tax adviser.